Sunday 6 April 2014

K-Fashion Odyssey and Valentine’s Day 2014



K-Fashion Oyssey 2014 - From my Instagram - Asianpopguru - Follow me!
 

Heya folks! It’s your friendly neighbourhood Scottie here! Let me start off by saying soz buckets for the very ‘run of la mill’ blog title. I shall try to not let it happen again…I pomise!
 


So! This year’s Valentine’s Day I did what every self and not so self respecting singleton should do on V day!
 

THAT’S RIGHT!
 

I went to see a fashion exhibition, along with a reception afterwards as well as an artist talk to boot…yes I am cool and that IS INDEED, ‘How I roll’, thank you in the back there, yes you with the hot beverage.
 

To be precise, it was the Korean Culture Centre’s ‘K-Fashion Odyssey’ exhibit; which showcased the talents of a handful of Korean students and designers who are either studying here in the UK/London, and/or have links with London, be it through past or present study, or through living and working here.
 

The aim of the show was to exhibit the connections, influences and thoughts of these Korean designers, and how their time here in the UK has flavoured their ideas and the exhibition also linked in with the theme of Odyssey as in across the sea, just like the ancient Greek epic; in this case Korea – UK. I must say, I liked that idea. I like it when things have actually been thought out and well put together and not just thrown together, though of course not always and I’m no one to judge.


Now, I am a big fan of fashion, granted I don’t keep as up to date with fashion as much as I probably should do.
 

BUT


I am a HUGE believer in being UNIQUE and true to one’s own style, feeling and mood when it comes to art, food, music and fashion. We shouldn’t feel like we have to follow the latest catwalk trend nor what’s hot on the high street either. I feel that we should all wear what we like when we like.
 

Although having said that, I believe in ‘dressing up’ to go out as it were and looking your best, however it is always that saying; “I go out looking fabulous and I see no one, I go out looking a mess and it’s like a frigging reunion”…okay, so that may not be the exact wording, but still, you’ll forgive me right? What do you mean you won’t? Sad times man, sad times indeed.

 
ANYWAY! Soz buckets I digressed, again… #sorrynotsorry


Even though the space is tight, the exhibition was well put together and showed off the designer’s well crafted pieces flawlessly.
 

Each designer had very clear and distinct styles, which is always so nice to see when in one space so to speak; this allows one to better appreciate just how different people from the same, more or less, background can create things that are totally different to another person. Hell, it’s the same with any creative endeavour surely? 
 

This, everyone, is FASHION!

 
Oh my gosh how cliché was that line? ^ Sorry! I just could not resist saying it. Please feel free to do and/or picture we with jazz hands or the like, please join in, do it now… 1…2…3 FAZZ HANDS!

 
Now wasn’t that satisfying!? Yes?... No? Shame on you then.  

And yes, I did write FAZZ as in – Fashion Jazz

See…I know what I’m talking about...but do YOU!?

Actually I’m sure you all do. So I’ll just shut up here then.
 

YAYS FOR DIGRESSION AGAIN! #sorrynotsorry

 
The artist talk which was panelled by:

 
Sofia Hedman, Serge Martynov – curators and organisers

Chloe Kim, Gigi Jeehyun Jung – two of the designers

Chris Garland – Designer among other things and all round fashionable man.

 
It was nice, interesting, but to be honest, it was a little tiring, to sit there for a while listening to everybody talk, and one of the artists was late for the talk, but that’s fine, it was raining, it was a Friday afternoon and the roads were getting packed, it was probably just the fact that the seating was hard and wooden and not very friendly to one’s derriere.  

 
Anyway, I did ask a question about what the designers thought about traditional Korean clothing (Hanbok) and it’s place within modern fashion designs, both high end and otherwise. Well, I didn’t really get a direct answer; however one of the designers there, did say about how they do like and respect Hanbok.
 

However that its importance has somewhat diminished over the years, as it is not worn very often these days and that younger Koreans seem to be more interested in more modern style clothing with influences from western/European/American styles.
 

Chris Garland, vehemently defended the thought and position that Korean fashion designers and students alike have lost and are still losing their historical background, and giving in to too much western styles, thought and ways of creating and designing fashion. He wants them to still hold onto that what makes them 'Korean' and so on and so forth and not lose touch. He has an interesting point, of course it’s totally up to the individual if they want to go abroad and study and what not, stop being a stick in the mud Mr Garland! However, having said that, I too believe that a certain amount of ‘traditionality’ or even ‘Koreanness’ is somewhat missing, on some levels, within Korean fashion, it can feel like sometimes. I personally Love the Hanbok, but it’s more or less nowhere to be seen.
 

My dissertation at university was actually about Korean clothing and where it’s come from where it is at and where its going. There was a time when Dior used Hanbok as inspiration for one of the catwalk styles in recent years – see it can be done! But who am I to say what people should or shouldn’t make, create or design.
 

I can see where they are both coming from, I mean it’s not like Hanbok CAN’T be integrated into modern society, I mean look at the Japanese Kimono, its everywhere, in many forms, its been brought through the years and is still going strong, I shan’t go into any more details otherwise this post will get too heavy and blagh. But just know that it can and in my opinion the Hanbok is beautiful and is very comfortable attire and it should be worn more often, in any way shape or form.   

 
I did find it interesting how the designer, Chloe Kim, used Dickens’ character Miss Havisham as inspiration for her pieces at the exhibit. (Shown below) I like it, I liked the whole exhibition too be honest.
 


Chloe Kim - Miss Havisham inspired collection


The reception was of course lovely, free wine, a slice of cheese and chatting and discussing fashion and the like with random people is always an enlightening experience. I wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone!
 

YES! Let’s all get out there and live a little, believe me, I know, I may seem confident and the social butterfly…no? Okay I accept your opinion. But, still, it’s great to just go to these things and just don’t be afraid to say hi and introduce yourself, and ask what the person thought of the exhibition, the painting, the sculpture, the article, or the talk, even the screening of a film at the opening of a film festival.
 

Anyway, back to the main point, I actually, didn’t HAVE a main point. If there are any dodgy quality photos, then I’m sorry, but, personally, I would blame the photographer….
 

Also, if you are single, then NEVER FEAR! Single life is there for fun, living and being with oneself. Just go for a stroll in a park, window shop, listen to music all the way or not, if that is your preference, go to an art or fashion exhibition, a talk or seminar, read or go to the museum, gallery or go to the opera, theatre, go eat, do all these things alone!... or with a friend or two.
 

Whatever it is though, don’t let your lack of a partner get in the way of you enjoying what life has to offer, and besides, you just never know what may be waiting for you around the corner.
 

ANYWAY! SOZ BUCKETS FOR MASSIVE BLOG POST! See you all soon!

 

So, Scottie Says…
 

LOVE THY SINGLEDOM! And, LOVE THY FASHION! Also, LOVE THE FAZZ HANDS!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment